Enrolling Typical or Peer Model Children
The Centerville Preschool is licensed by the Ohio Department of Education and began in the fall of 1994 in Centerville City Schools. Our preschool provides play-based, developmentally appropriate activities in a safe and nurturing environment. We serve both children with special needs and typically developing peer models, ages 3-5. Our program is designed to develop social skills and kindergarten readiness. There are a limited number of openings for typically developing children.
2020-21 Preschool Registration
Lottery applications for preschool during the 2020-21 school year are now closed. Families will be notified by email or telephone call on or before Feb. 18. If you are still interested in preschool placement, you may complete the wait list application.
2021-22 Preschool Registration
Lottery applications for preschool for the 2021-22 school year will begin Monday, Feb. 1, 2021. Registrations will be accepted from 8 a.m. on Feb. 1 through 3 p.m. on Feb. 5 and will continue until all openings are filled. Registrations may be completed on-line or submitted in person to the schools.
The following student groups are given first priority in admission to the preschool:
- Returning preschool students
- Age-eligible siblings of returning preschool students
- Siblings of preschool students with disabilities
- Children of employees of Centerville City Schools
All other openings in the preschool are filled by lottery from among those who are registered on Feb. 1-5. Generally speaking, students will be accepted based on their lottery draw or the date and time of application after Feb. 5. However, the needs of the program may override this general principle. For example, the age and gender composition of each class will generally reflect Centerville’s student population.
Those interested in entering their typically developing child in the preschool program may do so by completing the forms posted on the web or at the schools the first week of February. The lottery will be conducted on Feb. 11. Families will be notified by Feb. 16 if their child is selected. Students chosen through the lottery will be invited to attend a mini preschool class as a screening for possible placement. Children attending PVS will be screened in March or April. During the screening parents are asked to stay and learn more about the program.
Returning preschool students or students wishing to participate in the 2021-22 lottery must meet the following requirements:
- Children must be 3 years of age on or before Sept. 30, 2021. A birth certificate is required. Children who are 5 years of age on or before Sept. 30, 2021, are not eligible for preschool as they are eligible for kindergarten.
- Families must reside within the geographical boundaries of the Centerville City School District. Proof of residency is required.
- Children participating in our Ohio Department of Education (ODE) licensed preschool will be screened per state of Ohio mandates in the areas of cognitive/pre-academic, motor, language, self-help and social-emotional skills in March/April 2021, within 60 business days of attending school and annually thereafter in the fall.
- Children participating must submit a current physical every 13 months of enrollment per ODE licensure. Failure to have current physical on file may result in exit from the program.
- Children must be toilet trained, have well-developed language skills and acceptable social skills. A peer model must be able to follow directions, adhere to classroom rules and accept teacher guidance. Students who are unable to meet these requirements may be dismissed from the program.
If the lottery has taken place and you are still interested in your typically developing child attending Centerville's preschool, you may complete the wait list application. When and if openings arise, lottery participants and wait list applications are called in the order by lottery number drawn and/or date of wait list application.