Enrolling Typical or Peer Model Children
2019-20 Preschool Registration
The lottery application for preschool is now closed. The lottery will be conducted on Feb. 11, and families will be notified by Feb. 14 if their child is selected. Families not selected will be put on our wait list and notified via postcard the week of Feb. 14. The wait list will remain open until Jan. 31, 2020 should openings occur during the school year.
The Centerville Preschool is licensed by the Ohio Department of Education and began in the fall of 1994 in Centerville City Schools. Our preschool provides play-based, developmentally appropriate activities in a safe and nurturing environment. We serve both children with special needs and typically developing peer models, ages 3-5. Our program is designed to develop social skills and kindergarten readiness. There are a limited number of openings for typically developing children.
Preschool registration for the 2019-20 school year will begin on Friday, Feb. 1, 2019. Registrations will be accepted from 8 a.m. on Feb. 1 through 3 p.m. on Feb. 8 and will continue until all openings are filled. The following student groups are given first priority in admission to the preschool:
- Returning preschool students
- Age-eligible siblings of returning preschool students
- Siblings of preschool students with disabilities
- Children of employees of Centerville City Schools
All other openings in the preschool are filled by lottery from among those who are registered on Feb. 1-8. Generally speaking, students will be accepted based on their lottery draw or the date and time of application after Feb. 8. However, the needs of the program may override this general principle. For example, the age and gender composition of each class will generally reflect Centerville’s student population.
Those interested in entering their typically developing child in the preschool program may do so by completing the attached forms (to be posted at 8 a.m. on Feb. 1, 2019). The lottery will be conducted on Feb. 11. Families will be notified by Feb. 14 if their child is selected. Students chosen through the lottery will be screened for possible placement. Children will be screened in March/April. During the screening parents are asked to stay and learn more about the program. Families not selected will be put on our wait list and notified via postcard the week of Feb. 14. The wait list will remain open until Jan. 31, 2020 for 2019-20, should openings occur during the school year.
Returning preschool students or students wishing to participate in the 2019-20 lottery must meet the following requirements:
- Children must be 3 years of age on or before Sept. 30, 2019. A birth certificate is required. Children who are 5 years of age on or before Sept. 30, 2019, are not eligible for preschool as they are eligible for kindergarten.
- Families must reside within the geographical boundaries of the Centerville City School District. Proof of residency is required.
- Children participating in our Ohio Department of Education (ODE) licensed preschool will be screened per state of Ohio mandates in the areas of cognitive/pre-academic, motor, language, self-help and social-emotional skills in March/April 2019, within 60 business days of attending school and annually thereafter in the fall.
- Children participating must submit a current physical every 13 months of enrollment per ODE licensure. Failure to have current physical on file may result in exit from the program.
- Children must be toilet trained, have well-developed language skills and acceptable social skills. A peer model must be able to follow directions, adhere to classroom rules and accept teacher guidance. Students who are unable to meet these requirements may be dismissed from the program.
If you are interested in registering your child as typical or "peer model" in our preschool for the 2019-20 school year, please complete and return the lottery application form beginning on Friday, Feb. 1, 2019 at 8 a.m. We will accept application forms for the lottery until Friday, Feb. 8 at 3 p.m. You may drop off applications at either PVN or PVS. You are also welcome to email your completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.