Above Nav Container

Centerville City Schools

Utility Container

Search Trigger (Container)

Button (Container)

Mobile Menu Trigger (container)

Off Canvas Navigation Container

Close Trigger (container)

Search (Mobile)

Frequently Asked Questions

Use the + sign next to each heading to see frequently asked questions related to that topic. If you have additional questions, please call the Board of Education Office at (937) 433-8841.

Board Policies

Where do I find a copy of the Board Policy Manual?

Click here to access the Centerville Board of Education Policy Manual. Once the page has opened, click on the Policies button in the top right corner to search the manual.

Building Use

Is it possible for my group to hold an event in one of your schools?

Any group wishing to reserve space in one of our facilities (other than Centerville High School) must complete the Building Use Form. This form includes information about rental group categories. Before submitting your form to the school where you would like to reserve a space, please check with the appropriate building for availability. Click here for contact information for each building.

Groups wishing to reserve space at Centerville High School should complete the CHS Building Use Form and return it to the high school.

Distributing Materials to Students

My company/organization would like to distribute flyers to Centerville students. What do we need to do?

Community organizations wishing to distribute materials to families in Centerville Schools must receive approval from the Office of the Superintendent. Please complete a Request for Distribution of Materials form or contact the Board of Education Office at (937) 433-8841 for information about distributing materials. Requests must be submitted five days prior to distribution.

Information will be distributed in electronic format ONLY. Approved information, along with a website link for more information (recommended) OR an electronic flyer, will be included in up to two issues of the district's e-newsletter.


Where can I find job postings for Centerville City Schools?

Visit the Dayton Area School Consortium to apply for a position online. Anticipated vacancies are posted on our Human Resources page.


Where I can find information about substitute positions?

Substitute teachers are needed at all levels. You must have a bachelor's degree and attend a training session. Click here for information about upcoming training sessions.

Visit the Human Resources page for more information about becoming a substitute aide.

Substitute custodians are needed for both day and evening shifts. For more information, please email Jon Wesney or call (937) 433-8841.

Bus driver substitutes are a necessity with more than 100 buses on the road each day. For more information, please email Andy Trick or call (937) 885-7776.

Kitchen substitutes also are needed at all buildings, and hours are between 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. so you would be able to get your children to school and pick them up. For more information, please email Olivia Stone or call (937) 433-8841.


We just moved to Centerville-Washington Township. How do I register my child(ren)?

Please see our New Student Registration page. Note: If you are interested in Centerville Preschool, please see the Preschool page for information about enrollment.


If I give you my address, could you tell me which school my child will attend?

Please view our District Maps for each grade level. If you have additional questions, please contact the Transportation Department at (937) 885-7776.


We are currently living with a relative in Centerville-Washington Township. Can I still enroll my child?

If you are moving into a residence that is registered in someone else's name, they must complete a Residence Affidavit. The affidavit must be notarized and brought to your enrollment appointment. Please see our New Student Registration page for information about making an appointment.


We do not live in Centerville. Can my child attend Centerville Schools?

We do not have open enrollment. You must reside in the school district to attend Centerville City Schools.


How old does my child need to be to start kindergarten?

If your child will turn five years old before Sept. 30, you may register him/her for kindergarten. Kindergarten enrollment packets will be available on our New Student Registration page.

Home Access Center

What is the Home Access Center?

The Home Access Center (HAC) is an online portal for parents and students to access information that includes demographic data (emergency info and contacts), transportation (bus routes), attendance (absence and tardies), fees (balance and fee history), classes (scheduled courses and teachers), grades and report cards (grades 6-12 only).

How do I create an account in Home Access Center?

Note: The following information is for parents. Student HAC accounts are issued at school.

If you have never accessed the Home Access Center (HAC), use the Register link to create your account. This link can be found in the Login box. In order for this process to work, we must have a valid email address on record for you. You also will need to confirm the parent/guardian name and the ZIP code we have on file. If you have trouble completing the registration process, please send an email to hac@centerville.k12.oh.us.

Each parent/guardian will be able to create their own account and unique password.

Meal Accounts & Menus

For information and questions related to Student Nutrition Services, including breakfast and lunch menus and instructions for accessing the MyPaymentsPlus website, please visit the Student Nutrition Services website.

School Hours & Contact Information

What time does my child's school day begin and end?

Centerville's schools operate on the following times:

  • AM Preschool: 8:10-10:50 a.m.
  • PM Preschool: 11:55 a.m.-2:35 p.m.
  • AM Kindergarten: 8:10-10:50 a.m.
  • PM Kindergarten: 11:55 a.m.-2:35 p.m.
  • Grade 1: 8:10 a.m.-2:35 p.m.
  • Grades 2-5: 8 a.m.-2:20 p.m.
  • Grades 6-8: 8:50 a.m.-3:35 p.m.
  • CHS Grades 9-12: 7:50 a.m.-2:50 p.m.
  • Morning SOP: 8:15-11:15 a.m.
  • Afternoon SOP: 12:45-3:45 p.m.
  • Evening SOP: 3:45-5:45 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday

Where can I find contact information for my child's school?

Phone numbers, fax numbers and addresses for each school can be found on our Contact Us page.


How do I get my transcript?

Please complete a Transcript Request form. Respond to all sections and see directions for submitting at the bottom of the page. This form may also be used to request special education and immunization records. There is a $5 fee per copy.


What can my children bring on the bus with them?

Please see our Bus Riding Policies page.


Why does my child have to be at his/her stop five minutes early?

When we approach the stop, your child's driver is counting the number of children who might be at that stop. He or she will make sure the same number of children get on the bus to ensure no one has slipped, fallen or dropped something into what we call the "danger zone" where they cannot be seen.

This is especially important in the winter months. It's dark out and there may be snow or ice that the children could slip on.


If my child is sick or not riding in the AM do I need to call transportation?

No, you do not have to call us! We ask our drivers to stop at each address as this will keep them on schedule for the next stop.

If your child rides a Special Needs bus, please call the Transportation office only if you are running late to the bus stop. We will do our best to accommodate the late arrival.


How do your drivers know where to pick up our children?

We use a state-of-the-art routing software. Each driver carries on their bus two, and maybe three, different routes printed on paper. These are for our AM, midday and PM routes. They include turn for turn and stop for stop information for the driver.

Your child's regular driver soon commits this and your child's name and stop to memory.

When we use a sub, they simply refer to the route sheet and follow it. However, they are nowhere near as familiar with addresses, etc. as your regular driver and will probably run behind schedule.


How safe is the school bus to ride?

The school bus is 26.4 times safer than all other modes of travel in Ohio. This is based upon the last five-year average of accident information gathered by the State of Ohio.


Do I need to call transportation if my child is riding a different bus?

No, please complete the Temporary Transportation Change Form. Fill it out completely and legibly, then send the form to your child's school. Please, no notes on any type of scrap paper.


Can I just give a note to the bus driver?

We feel the best thing to do is use the Temporary Transportation Change Form referred to earlier. Many children forget to present the note until they are leaving school. As you can imagine, with thousands of bus riders, this creates very confusing few moments, especially for younger children and their teachers.


What should I do if I move or change my contact info?

Please call or fax your child's school with ANY change as this is vital for emergencies or bus routing!


What if I see a Centerville bus operating unsafely?

First of all, we believe we have one of the most thoughtful and professional group of drivers a school district could have! However, if you feel you witnessed an unsafe act, please get the bus number and give us a call with the details.

Also, feel free to call us with any compliments you have, and we will pass them along to the driver!


Why do you use substitute drivers?

Just as any other profession, we have drivers who get sick, or they have a sick child at home, a dental appointment, etc. With that in mind, we will use a sub to run your child's route. These are very professional people; however, they have no way of knowing everything your regular driver does. We will be there, and we will get your children picked up and dropped off safely, but we will probably run a little behind schedule.


What does a school delay mean to my child and me?

If we have a scheduled two-hour delay or the superintendent determines the weather is bad enough for a delay, morning pick-up time for bus riders will be two hours later than the normal schedule.

Delayed start times for schools will be:

  • Full Day Kindergarten (Special Needs Students) - 10:10 a.m.
  • Morning Preschool & Kindergarten - 10:10-11:50 a.m.*
  • Afternoon Preschool & Kindergarten - 12:55-2:35 p.m.**
  • 1st Graders - 10:10 a.m.
  • Centerville Elementary Schools (grades 2-5) - 10 a.m.
  • Centerville Middle Schools (grades 6-8) - 10:50 a.m.
  • Centerville High School - 9:50 a.m.
  • School of Possibilities - 10:15 a.m. / 1:45 p.m.


* Dismissal time will be 11:50 for AM Preschool and Kindergarten.
** Start of PM Preschool and Kindergarten will be delayed one hour.

End-of-day dismissal times will not change.

Work Permits

How do students obtain a work permit?

Students must be 14 years of age to obtain a work permit. A student may obtain a work permit application at all three middle schools, Centerville High School, Student Services Office or online at the Ohio Department of Commerce.

The student must present in person a completed application when requesting a work permit. An application consists of parental permission/signature, pledge of employer and a physician's certificate (a copy of current athletic physical certification is acceptable). Proof of age in the form of a birth certificate, hospital certificate, birth affidavit or passport must be presented at the time of application. Driver’s licenses are not acceptable as proof of age in accordance with Ohio Wage & Hour regulations.

High school students may present their completed work permit application for processing at their Unit Guidance Office during regular school hours to obtain a permit. Work permit applications for all students may be processed at the Student Services Office, 111 Virginia Ave., Centerville 45458, (937) 433-8841 from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday. STUDENTS MUST BE PRESENT TO SIGN THE WORK PERMIT.

Students 14-15 years of age are required to have a work permit year round for employment. Students 16-17 years of age are required to have a work permit on file only if they are employed during the school year. Students 16-17 years of age will not be issued a work permit for employment during summer months or when school is not in session.

For each new job under a new employer, the student must present a new Pledge of Employer (OHIO Form III) to obtain a new permit.